Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Quilt as Wedding Favor & Color Mastery


Earlier this year, I was intrigued by a new book by Maria Peagler on color use in quilts. While I haven't been very good at keeping a color journal, I've gotten good mileage out of her incredibly easy Renaissance pattern, which as you can see involves strip piecing varying widths and colors according to different types of color harmonies.

I'm hand quilting this piece in blue, green, purple, plum and pink. I love the backing fabric - a gorgeous homespun-feeling green shot with mallard.


Then I returned to the pattern in an itty bitty 4" finished block size. The pattern calls for fat quarters, and I found that 4 sets of seven would yield all the 8" by 8" blocks I would need to do some quirky little quilts as wedding favors at our wedding in December (first five below!).



Now I just have to figure out how I will hand quilt all of these babies before Christmas. I *am* excited at the prospect of stocking up on YLI glazed cotton hand quilting thread - the colors and texture are delicious.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Maria Peagler said...

Hi Ugly Pretties - (didn't see your real name!)

Love your Renaissance quilt and how creative to give them away as wedding favors. Did you get them finished? What a lot of work but so memorable. If you send me a photo of them I'll feature them on my blog!

Best,
Maria - Color Mastery author (really - it's me!)

January 26, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home